Sunday, May 4, 2008

cairo 1973


in the early 70's my dad was the principal of the american school in cairo, egypt. he recently gave me a ton of amazing slides. here's one of them. the guy in the suit and tie is a teacher from cairo american college and the other totally bad ass dudes are students.

i'll post some of these photographs now and again. there are some really cool snaps from growing up in dubai and our summer in iran. the one thing that strikes me in almost all of them is how totally freaking hip everyone looks - and this isn't the lower east side! it's north africa and the persian gulf. ah, the 70's. -jd

2 comments:

Orrin Otherwords said...

Holy sh!t, John! You should start a flickr page for these. They're amazing!

mommyknows said...

John,

I'd love to see more of these too! Your dad must have great pics of Dubai in the 'old days'. It's hard to imagine it the way it used to be when you see it today.

I love your new album, 'Honeysuckle Weeks'. Swimming pools is my current favorite.

Take Care,

Kim Becker